T-Mobile Rocks – free GPRS internet

I posted yesterday about T-Mobile supposedly removing the port restrictions from their free WAP/GPRS access. I was paying for the full $19.99/month unlimited GPRS plan, but yesterday, I tried accessing via the WAP APN (wap.voicestream.com), and everything worked fine – web, IMAP email, MSN IM, etc.

So, I figured I’d test my luck. I called up T-Mobile a little while ago, and told them I wanted to drop the “T-Mobile Unlmtd VPN/GPRS” plan, but keep the “Included WAP Access – Free” plan. The rep I spoke to said that WAP was only for downloading ringtones, and I said I was OK with that. I figured, worst case scenario, if my access stopped working, I could call back and add the $4.99/month T-Zones plan, which gives the same GPRS access via the WAP APN.

The VPN plan disappeared from the “My Plan and Services” page on My T-Mobile almost immediately (I’m impressed – I expected the change to take “2 to 48 hours”, like everything else they’ve ever done for me). The WAP access is still listed.

Moment of truth – I pull out my MPX200 (reboot for good measure), then start testing. Web access works. MSN IM works. IMAP email works. woot! :-)

I just saved myself 20 bucks a month, but I still have full access to everything via my Smartphone. That, my friends, is why T-Mobile rocks for anything to do with wireless data.

32 thoughts on “T-Mobile Rocks – free GPRS internet

1. Anonymous says:

i’m trying to get my mpx200 to connect to an Exchange server behind a PPTP server. I thought I had the settings right…but it’s not working. I get a coverage error. Please help?

2. Heyo,

I was wondering if you were still using this service. I have a sony ericsson p800, but whenever I try to do anything it fails, and in trying to use the web I get redirected to the obnoxious “Hi, buy T-zones” screen.

You can email me at gushi@gushi.org

3. Anonymous says:

Hi guys,
    I’ve done exactly like the first poster did and I am getting online (for Free) on my Treo600.
    I believe in order to be able to use the free internet you need to have a GPRS phone, I think that’s why dan maohoney can’t get it for free.Also you might need to configure your proxy settings.
    Hopefully will last :) for free

4. Guest says:

Just so you know, it *is* free internet.

HOWEVER, IM programs like AIM, ICQ, and MSN Messenger on phones do NOT go through the GPRS/EDGE or Wifi internet for their connections. Each IM you send and receive is actually considered 1 text message.

5. Azeem says:

I don’t have any Data Plan subscription, No T-Zones, No T-Mobile Internet. But I’m still able to browse internet over EDGE on my T-mobile Dash phone. I get constant “E” icon on my phone (means EDGE is available). and that for FREE!

6. hey i recently found this out myself on my dash, i think its freakin great, anyhow do u know if since when u use the aim installed on the device u get charged for each im, is there a third party or even a free aim software program u can download and use to avoid using the aim/msn/icq on the dash?

7. Garth says:

Hold up! So theoretically I could drop my “all-you-can-eat” data plan with T-Mobile, and I would still be able to surf the net and use versamail on my Treo 650? Sounds too good to be true! What’s the catch?

8. Ed says:

I bought a t-mobile dash about two months ago. I declined the internet package when I initially bought it. I took it home selected the internet icon and walah!… free internet. I don’t pay for t-zones or anything. I didn’t even have to mess with any of the settings on my phone to make it work.

9. Mike says:

I also declined the unlimited internet package when I upgraded to my new Dash which I got 3 days ago.. the first 2 days I had internet access right out of the box, but beginning today, no pages would load.. Since I had the 5.99 t-zones package still on my account after the upgrade, I decided to do the WAP hack.. now I got my net access back.. Everything seems to work except for Pocket MSN Messenger and I can no longer stream any shoutcast streams.

10. I got a Tmobile Dash yesterday (Feb.27.07) based on the free GPRS claim of this post. I got my Dash out of the box and I had a bit of problems connecting to gmail via Tzones. I could not even connect to my WIFI network at home. I called Tmobile tech support (I was on hold for a looooonng time). The tech guy helped me set up my email account. For some reason , it didn’t work. He put me on hold and while he tried different things on his side. At the end of the phone call. Gmail worked. This morning, the internet worked on my phone. WOOT! I’m able to POP my mail from gmail. Better yet, I’m able to go to gmail.com and browse my email there! I’m even able to log in to my blog!!!!

11. lakita says:

hey i was wonderin..i started gettn the internet for free from gprs..but on the bill, is it goin to charge me per KB??

12. SWare says:

For some reason I am not able 2 connect anymore. Can u give me step by step what I need 2 do 2 get free net again? I t just stopped working 4 me about a wk & a half ago.

13. Balboa says:

To setup the internet connection over T-MobileWeb follow these instructions:

Follow the below instructions to setup the Dash:
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    IP address:
    Press Done.
    Configure Pocket Internet Explorer
    Start Menu -> Internet Explorer -> Menu -> Tools -> Options -> Connections
    Uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.
    Select Network: The Internet (Must be set to “The Internet” to work over WiFi. Try “WAP Network” if you’re having trouble over the
    EDGE/GPRS connection)
    Press Done.
    Configure Messaging (follow these steps for POP or IMAP email accounts that have been manually setup)
    Start Menu -> Messaging -> Highlight your email account -> Menu -> Settings -> Press Next twice
    Select Network: WAP Network
    Press Next three times then Finish.

14. Kyle says:

Im having trouble connecting on my dash it says Error 502 Bad request then it says the server could not resolve your request for the website i put in.

15. Pingback: tzones | www.securemoreresult.info

16. Louis says:

ok so i called tmobile today and confirmed all this with my cuzin cause he works there and yup gotta love tmobile for giving us access on some wonderful free internet play

17. Ralphy says:

Can anyone please clarify if adding Tzones will allow internet to work (based on information posted by Balboa on April 11th)? I am in the same boat as many and my internet worked right out of the box during the months of Feb, Mar, and Apr. However, it stopped working about the beginning of May. I miss my internet usage and I refuse to pay their elevated price of $29.99 (an unneccessary increase of $10 since I purchased the phone). HELP!

18. norma says:

This worked for me for about 2 days only, maybe t-mobile See’s I’m using there data plan when in fact i don’t have it and turn it off :-( I don’t even know if i have the wap (t-zones) $5.99 plan; i don’t want to ask them Caz they might shut that down, but anyways it did work great for 2 days! I was surfing the net on my t-mobile dash phone using this proxy hack:

“””Add the $5.99 T-MobileWeb service to your current voice plan (it may take up to 72 hours to activate, but typically takes less than 24 hours).
    Follow the below instructions to setup the Dash:
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    IP address:
    Press Done.
    Configure Pocket Internet Explorer
    Start Menu -> Internet Explorer -> Menu -> Tools -> Options -> Connections
    Uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.
    EDGE/GPRS connection)
    Press Done.
    Select Network: WAP Network
    Press Next three times then Finish.”””

* Does anyone know of a update!?! …Caz this no longer works for me! I have the t-mobile dash phone and I don’t want pay 20-29 dollars for it, I’m poor! :-( ..anyone know a way around it fix? I’m sure t-mobile knows of this now and when they see you using this port they shut it down to your phone! I saw one update where you make a second proxy and something Else and that did not work!

please let me know, you can email me direct, thanks guys!

norma281@yahoo.com

I have have yahoo messenger also add me Norma :-(

19. Jeff says:

Well i too have the T-MOBILE TOTAL INTERNET HACK….In fact they did find the loop hole and fixed it…. but being they consistant man i am i got it again…im on a unlocked chinese phone…it works great!!

20. Jose says:

I have the dash phone and I am still able to access the internet with the t-mobile 5.99 plan. The only problem is that I have to keep on switching from WAP Network to The internet depending on what I want to do. If I want the browse the internet, I have to set the Connect to in GPRS > T-Mobile Data > WAP Network. And If I want to check my e-mail via MESSAGING I have to set it to GPRS > T-Mobile Data > The internet. Everything else stays the same. Hope this helps.

21. jess says:

after finding this sit with the awesome step by step… my tmobile wing officially has internet and can still send my messages and check my emails (gmail and yahoo and microsoft exchange)… the amazing part is…. i dont have the $5.99 plan :) this worked before when i had the dash and the shadow… all worked with these same settings that are listed above with NO plan… so save a few bucks… call … cancel the $5.99 service and try it, bet it will work, at least it does for me and has for over a year now

22. Geoff says:

Just used the workaround listed above on my dash and now have the internet. Figured I’d post in case anyone was wondering if it still works.

23. hummergrl says:

i have a side kick 2008 do you think it will work for me? and if so how do i get the free internet?
    thankz
    hummergrl

24. Tried this on my iPhone, however i’m presented with a page saying i’m not subscribed to the internet plan.
    Which BTW T-mobile no longer seems to have their $6 plan.