Use the BlackBerry 7100t as a USB GPRS Modem

PDA street forums – 7100t Shortcuts and Tricks Thread

I ran across this in my subscription to the del.icio.us “blackberry” tag RSS feed.

It turns out that while the functionality to use the new BlackBerry 7100t as a Bluetooth GPRS modem has been disabled, you can still use it as a GPRS modem connected via USB cable. This has the added benefit of trickle charging the BlackBerry while it’s plugged into the USB cable, so as long as your laptop has power, you can be connected to the internet as long as you have a cell signal.

To be honest, since I knew that the Bluetooth functionality was disabled, I assumed that all GPRS modem functionality was missing, and never though to try this out. Turns out it’s deceptively simple, and easy to set up. I’ve tried it out, and it works great.

Read on for the details on how to set everything up.

Here are the instructions from the post linked above (written by PDAStreet user bollar:

It turns out that the 7100 can be used on T-Mobile as a GPRS modem for a computer by using the USB cable. Here’s how to configure it:

1. The 7100 must be connected to the computer by USB cable and the BB desktop manager must be turned on.

2. Verify the modem settings. In the Control Panel open the Phone & Modem Options. On the modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (mine is COM11). Click Properties: Diagnostics: Query Modem. You should see the following:

ATQ0V1E0 – OK
AT+GMM – BlackBerry IPmodem
AT+FCLASS=? – OK
AT#CLS=? – OK
AT+GCI? – OK
AT+GCI=? – OK
ATI1 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI2 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI3 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI4 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI5 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI6 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI7 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

3. Click Properties: Advanced and add the following Extra initialization commands:

AT+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”wap.voicestream.com”,””,0,0

4. Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel. Create a new connection with Start: Connect To: Show all connections: Create a new connection.

1. Connect to the Internet
2. Set up my connection manually
3. Connect using a dial-up modem
4. Check only the Standard Modem
5. Give the connection a name such as “T-Mobile GPRS via BB7100 USB”
6. The phone number is *99#
7. Connection for Anyone’s use, or not.
8. Leave the username and passwords blank. Uncheck make this the default Internet connection.
9. Click Finish

5. Give it a try. It should dial and connect in just a couple of seconds.

If these instructions don’t work for you, or could be improved, let me know.

If you have a BlackBerry 7100t, try this out, and let me know how it works!

35 thoughts on “Use the BlackBerry 7100t as a USB GPRS Modem

1. Anonymous says:

Mine is listed as a “Hardware ID: mdmgen” and when I query the modem it comes back saying it could not be opened and to check for conflicks. Same deal on two different pc’s (both xp+sp2 and blackberry desktop software instaleld).

2. Hi,
    I tried the same settings on my 7100t. I am able to connect, get a DNS, also an IP address but i cannot open a page. I can see the send receive bytes going higher, but the page doesnt open. Could you tell me what could be wrong?
    Thanks

3. Anonymous says:

Also, make sure “IP header compression” is turned OFF. That was also preventing some people from connecting.

Some people had to call into TMobile to make sure they had the “wap.voicestream.com” Access Point Name added to their account.

4. Anonymous says:

I got this to work once on my BB 7100, but I deleted the setup by accident. Since then I have tried to recreate it many times, and have tried changing various Network TC/PIP and other settings. It always connects and the sent/recieved bytes increase (just like in second comment above), but the web pages fail to load.

Can someone who has this working consistantly document the various setup parameters? At a minimum, what advanced TC/PIP settings are you using? It would be nice to see a list of all possible active settings. By the way, I do have the desktop mgr up, have header compession off, and did verify that I have “wap.voicestream.com” access port enabled – T-mobile 2nd tier data support says all accounts on the Blackberry plan do.

5. Anonymous says:

Note: Above post IS IN ERROR. ^^^^^^^^

Please disregard the above post (Time = 4.07am) This setting will not help. I would delete it if I had access

jbeers (same as above)

6. using the blackberry 7100t as a gprs modem as posted by josh bankcroft doesn’t seem to work anymore. web pages fail to load.

did t-mobile make further changes to prevent using the BB to browse the web using wap.voicestream.com?

when i use “internet2.voicestream.com” i can get on the web, but blackberry email no longer works.

7. Anonymous says:

This worked for me previously, however I just updated to version 4.0 Blackberry software and it doesn´t work anymore. I think the old version was 3.2, so for those who get it to work I bet you are running 3.2. Let me know if anyone has the same problem or a workaround.

8. I was able to make this work. I have a 7100t with software version 4.0 computer running xp+sp2. I followed the directions to a “T”. some pages took longer to load, I was actually unable to load google but other pages loaded just fine. Make sure you are in a good service area.

9. Anonymous says:

Anyone had any success on a MAC using macosx 10.3?

I have pocketBB for syncing the 7100t with my addressbook and that works great.

once plugged in using USB, the modem is visable in the lists of modems, but i’ve been using zterm to try to connect to it but cannot seem to talk to it. Any help is appreciated.

10. Hi , I can’t get my laptop yo recognize my 7100t as a modem. Intellisync works so my computer is connected but when I go into phones and modems the 7100t is not listed as a com6 or com11. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

11. Anonymous says:

Mine either im just guessing but maybe theres a new firmware for the blackberry 7100t that wont allow it?

12. Anonymous says:

7100t owners in the UK on t-mobile might be interested in my experiences getting the modem to work; I’ve posted them up here

13. Anonymous says:

I am using the 7100t right now it seems that the thing that is being overlooked is you are on a slow connection no matter what it says your conection speed is and your computer is trying to load the complete page

The problem that people are having not seeing the 7100 as a modem that is because with the update of software it is now listed in USB devices as a port and it is labeled as a RIM virtual com port that is the port you need to set as modem

And yes as of 09-20-05 i am using the latest software in my BB

My thanks to the person that started the post

14. Anonymous says:

I just upgraded my desktop software and handheld software and now it no longer works.

Can anyone verify that after using the latest software on T-mobiles site that it works? I used to use this all the time and it worked like a champ.

15. same thing with me… I used to be able to work before but with latest software, it no longer works :(

anyone have an ideas..
    When I click query modem, I get
    I think something is hokey here.

“10-14-2005 03:23:09.092 – File: C:\WINNT\system32\unimdm.tsp, Version 5.0.2195 – Retail
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.092 – File: C:\WINNT\system32\unimdmat.dll, Version 5.0.2195 – Retail
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.092 – File: C:\WINNT\system32\uniplat.dll, Version 5.0.2195 – Retail
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.102 – File: C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\modem.sys, Version 5.0.2195 – Retail
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.102 – File: C:\WINNT\system32\modemui.dll, Version 5.0.2195 – Retail
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.102 – Modem type: Conexant Intl HSFi V92 MiniPCI Modem
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.102 – Modem inf path: oem3.inf
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.102 – Modem inf section: ModemX
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.623 – 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.623 – Initializing modem.
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.623 – DSR is low while initializing the modem. Verify modem is turned on.
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.653 – Send: AT
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.653 – Recv:
    there are some html tags here that are not being accepted here before the word “OK” and after them as well
    OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.653 – Interpreted response: OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.683 – Send: AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1;W2
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.833 – Recv:
    OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.833 – Interpreted response: OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.863 – Send: ATS7=60M1+ES=3,0,2;+DS=3;+IFC=2,2;X3

10-14-2005 03:23:09.863 – Recv:
    OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.863 – Interpreted response: OK
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Send: AT+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”wap.voicestream.com”,””,0,0
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Recv:
    there are some html tags here that are not being accepted here before the word “ERROR” and after them as well
    ERROR

what does ERROR mean here?
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Interpreted response: Error
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Session Statistics:
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Reads : 27 bytes
    10-14-2005 03:23:09.893 – Writes: 126 bytes

16. Trebz says:

Babbar – I did get mine to work again.

First I found this suggestion here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=16371&page=3&pp=40

“Regarding the modem issue, I just encountered that tonight. I had upgraded my BB Desktop software at the same time as my OS upgrade so I’m not sure which one caused the problem. It took me a while to figure it out, but the fix was easy enough. Basically, the BB modem wasn’t showing up as an installed modem. First you have to exit your BB Desktop Software. Then go to Add/Remove Programs, select BB Desktop Software and do a repair. When you start it up again and hook up your BB it should appear. You will still need to re-enter the initialization string for your carrier. Now the rest of my roadtrip will be much more connected!”

The one thing that I had to do was to re-enter the modem intialization string:

In the Control Panel open the Phone & Modem Options. On the modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port. Click Properties: Advanced and add the following Extra initialization commands:

AT+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”wap.voicestream.com”,””,0,0

I am currently writing this post through my 7100t on my laptop.

17. macrovision says:

If you really wanna know abouth solving the connection problem I came across the “cannot connect” and after using the setup in this thread I still had a problem until I finally used the remove program option in windows XP….I removed the blackberry software and reinstalled it and in the process learned that because you don’t need a password that during the blackberry software installation when it request the user and computer name you need to leave those feilds blank as windows will attempt to use this as your password when you leave the dial up user name and password feilds blank

18. Anonymous says:

I’ve been trying this out with BlackBerry 7100n handhelds from O2. Here’re the instructions they gave me, and what’s more I was able to get them working!

1. Firstly Make sure has the latest version of Blackberry Desktop Manager Installed on there machine. (version 4)

2. Once they have the up to date desktop manager installed they need to ensure that it is running and that it is picking up there device (sync’d up- PIM configured)

3. Then go to control panel- system- hardware- device manager under PORTS you should see blackberry serial port (with a port no assigned to it –this is the port the modem needs to be installed on). Under MODEMS there should also be a STANDARD MODEM.

4. We can now install the modem. To do this go into control panel and select the phone and modems option and click on the modems tab. If you click on the add button and then on the wizard make sure the option that says “Don’t detect my modem I will select it from a list” is ticked and then click next. The wizard will then display the list of available modems, you need to select the Standard 56000B Modem or the standard modem and click next.
    5. You may be shown the com port defaulted to in control panel system-hardware -device manager or….
    6. The wizard will now display a list of com ports which the modem can be installed on or it will show the com port defaulted to in control panel system-hardware -device manager (there should only be 5 max)if all ports is selected you need to select the option to install the modem on ALL ports (I found that if you only select the COM port that the device is actually connect to then it does not pick it up when you try and dial up and gives you a hardware error”. The wizard is now complete.

7. The next thing to do is to add the extra initialization command to the modem to be used. The way to do this is to highlight the standard modem that has just been installed and click on properties, go to advanced tab and add the dial string as follows (+cgdcont=1,”ip”,”mobile.o2.co.uk”) and then click ok.

8. Next query the modem set up you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (mine is COM11). Click Properties: Diagnostics: Query Modem. You should see the following:

ATQ0V1E0 – OK
    AT+GMM – BlackBerry IPmodem
    AT+FCLASS=? – OK
    AT#CLS=? – OK
    AT+GCI? – OK
    AT+GCI=? – OK
    ATI1 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI2 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI3 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI4 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI5 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI6 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI7 – Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

9. You now need to setup the dial up connection as follows.
    • Click START
    • Select CONTROL PANEL
    • Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    • From the menu box on the left hand side (under NETWORK TASKS) select CREATE A NEW CONNECTION
    • Click NEXT
    • Choose CONNECT TO THE INTERNET
    • Click NEXT
    • Select SET UP MY CONNECTION MANUALLY
    • Click NEXT
    • Select CONNECT USING A DIAl-UP MODEM
    • Click NEXT
    • Choose a modem from the list of those installed
    • Click NEXT
    • Type a name for the ISP (eg: O2)
    • Enter the dial-up number: *99#
    • Click NEXT
    • Enter the USERNAME as faster
    • Enter the PASSWORD as password
    • Tick MAKE THIS CONNECTION MY DEFAULT CONECTION if required
    • Un-tick USE THE INTERNET CONNECTION FIREWALL if required
    • Click NEXT
    • Click FINISH
    • Right-click the connection just created (eg: O2)
    • Select PROPERTIES
    • USE DIALLING RULES should be un-ticked
    • Click the NETWORKING tab
    • Click PROPERTIES
    • Leave the IP ADDRESS as server assigned
    • Set the DNS as:
    • Primary DNS 193.113.200.200
    • Secondary DNS 193.113.200.201
    • Click OK
    • Click OK again

The speeds were nothing to write home about though. I will try again, but initially I only got 1KB/s!

Jez

19. Pingback: Blogeric - Personal Blog for Eric Hames

20. Anon says:

THIS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be isolated at work and expected to be productive on a network with no outside access…

Laptop -> Crackberry -> the world!

thanks!

21. Anon says:

Got it to work as of July 11, 2006. After I followed the directions above it did not work correctly until I rebooted the computer. Then it worked perfectly. Kind of slow at about 9.6 kbps but still cool nonetheless. With better reception I would imagine the speed would increase.

Thanks…

22. Eric says:

One note. I followed the directions to a T, and I copied and pasted the “AT=cgdcont=1″IP”….” line, but it errored after the username and password.

******MANUALLY TYPE IN THE INFORMATION******

I think one of the qutations is not reconized correctly. After I type the line I connected with no problems.

23. Pingback: Mark’s (we)Blog » Trying to work out why BlackBerries are so popular (I still don’t get it)

24. Pingback: Gprs Tmobile Modems - Dogpile Web Search

25. Shaankar R S says:

I use blackberry 7100t with AIRCEL in India. While connecting, “Verifying username & password. Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated”