Your weekly dose of geeky mobile technology and gadget stuff. Download the MP3 file directly (41 minutes, 18 MB) or subscribe to the TinyPodcast RSS feed in your favorite podcast aggregator.
Read on for the show notes!
- Listener feedback – Carol in Portland asks how to get a band noticed through podcasting
- Listener feedback – Jon tells us how he uses Xbox Media Center to play content he’s grabbed using BitTorrent and RSS. Check it out at http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/xbmc/ and http://xbmc.blogspot.com/
- Josh got a new gadget! Sony DCR-HC40 MiniDV Digital Camcorder (link goes to the HC42, the 2005 model, which is nearly identical, because the HC40 seems to have disappeared from Sony’s site). It’s so tiny! Can anyone tell Josh how to pull recorded video off of the camera via USB, without having to buy a Firewire/IEEE1394/i-Link cable? Why not just use SD memory cards, instead of Memory Stick Duo, which is almost exactly the same size. Oh, and Sony charges $69 for a 4-pin to 4-pin i-Link/Firewire/IEEE1394 cable that you can buy in generic form for $5.
- Sony has dropped the Clie PalmOS PDAs in Japan (after doing so in the U.S. last year). Will probably focus on the PSP and Sony Ericsson smartphones. That leaves PalmOne as the only major manufacturer of PalmOS devices. Is PalmOS shriveling on the vine?
- Do we even want to talk about Paris Hilton’s hacked Sidekick? Josh’s theory – she leaked her password on purpose, to extend her 15 minutes of fame.
- Brian is looking for a case for his new Dell x50v Pocket PC. Send him your suggestions and recommendations.
- Paul gives us an update on his Garmin iQue M5 GPS Pocket PC. Complaints about how reminders are handled in Windows Mobile (can’t Snooze All, reminders steal focus, can’t open item by tapping reminder, etc.). Wouldn’t it be great if this all worked the same as it does in Outlook?
We love to get feedback from our listeners! Email Josh, Brian, or Paul, or call the TinyPodcast listener feedback line at 206-222-2479.