Here’s this week’s show. You can download the MP3 file directly (right-click, save as), or subscribe to the TinyPodcast RSS feed in your favorite podcast aggregator to get the show delivered automatically to your computer and MP3 player. This week’s show is about 20 MB, 40 minutes, as usual.
There is some horrible static-sounding interference at several points in the recording today. I have no idea where it came from or what it is – it sounds like we’re in a wind tunnel when it happens, but we were in a quiet conference room. I tried to edit them out, or at least dampen them a little bit. Sorry about that.
Here are the show notes, such as they are in my medicated condition:
- I am under the influence of cold medicine. Should be entertaining.
- Kevin got a new toy – a Sony Cybershot DCR-M1 digital camera/video recorder – the one with the funky flip out side LCD screen. Kevin likes it quite a bit, but I think you still can’t beat the bang for the buck you get from a MiniDV tape (60 or so GB worth of digital video data on a $3 tape you can buy at the grocery store, compared to 44 minutes per 1GB Memory Stick). I snapped some photos, I’ll post them to the TinyScreenfuls Flickr pool soon.
- I’m going to Gnomedex 5.0 later this week in Seattle. If you read TinyScreenfuls.com or listen to TinyPodcast, I’d love to meet you there. Call my cell (503-810-5365) or email me on my Smartphone, or just come find me – look for the guy with all the gadgets. 🙂 Lots of annoucements expected there – I’ll be posting live updates, so stay subscribed to hear the latest.
- Cory Doctorow’s new book is available, for free, from his site. Great geeky Sci-Fi.
- I’ll be testing Dave Winer’s OPML outliner. Watch this space for updates.
- I’m going to Microsoft’s PDC05 in September. Click around on the DeveloperPowered.com site in the Convince the Boss section for a cool Channel 9 easter egg. 🙂
- Whatever happened to “users and developers partying together”? The spirit lives on in my heart.
- It’s such a small geeky world – turns out I live quite close to Scott Hanselman, MSDN developer geek. Check out his list of useful applications.
- Dave’s iPAQ has hands-on impressions of the upcoming HP iPAQ 6500. Verdict: gunning for the BlackBerry in every way. Make sure to check out all of his posts on the topic. Can HP get it to market before it’s too obsolete, and avoid the fate of the Motorola MPx?
- Sony’s Walkman Phone came out. Verdict: meh. I maintain that Sony is a company perpetually on the verge of suing itself.
- The Broadcast Flag is back! Hollywood is trying to sneak this in under the radar, attached to another piece of legislation. Read the BoingBoing.net post to see how you can help, but act fast, before it’s too late! No time for letters, you need to call your congressional representative.
- I got a set of System Shock 2 sounds for my Smartphone and Pocket PC. Very creepy, and liable to cause domestic problems in my household. I’ll zip them up and post them soon. Great for office pranks. 🙂
- The Radio Shack IC-3 2000MAh rechargeable NiMH batteries that charge in 15 minutes that I put in my new Nikon Coolpix 5600 when I first got it are still going after 250+ pictures, several minutes of video, and untold fiddling with the camera. Outstanding performance, and highly recommended. They are also branded as Rayovac, and I saw that Energizer has a 15-minute set, but not sure if they’re the same capacity/design. These actually have a chip in the battery to allow them to charge so fast.
As always, we love to get feedback! You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our voice feedback line and leave us a message – 206-339-TINY. And come join/subscribe to the TinyScrenfuls Flickr group to post and see gadgety photos from fellow geeks around the world.
Thanks for listening, and we’ll talk to you next week!