iPod Software Version 1.2 just came down through iTunes 7

In my previous post, I lamented the fact that there wasn’t a software update beyond version 1.1 for my 5G 60GB iPod, so I could try the new games available via the iTunes store, and check out Search and the other UI changes announced today.

Lo and behold, a few minutes ago, I got a notification from iTunes that iPod Software version 1.2 was available, asking me if I wanted to download and install it (or just download only).

Of course, I did. My iPod rebooted a couple of times, et viola! :-)

My access to the iTunes store is flaky right now, so I haven’t tried out any of the games (I love Bejeweled and Tetris!). There are a couple of additions to the interface, though.

There’s now a Brightness adjustment under Settings. It defaults to the maximum setting, but you could probably gain some battery life by turning it down.

I can’t find the Search feature that Steve Jobs demonstrated anywhere. Is that going to be something that’s only available if you buy one of the new iPods? If so, what a rip off! :-)

Once nice addition, though, happens when you’re scrolling quickly through a long list (say, All Songs). A nice little box appears that lets you jump between each letter of the alphabet, to hop more directly to what you’re looking for. No more scrolling back and forth until you finally land on what you’re looking for. Windows Mobile/Pocket PC devices have always had this functionality in their Contacts application, and it’s definitely nice to have.

Still bummed about the lack of search in the new firmware, though. Am I missing something?

39 thoughts on “iPod Software Version 1.2 just came down through iTunes 7

1. I too am very disappointed about not being able to find the search fetaure! :'(

But the brightness adjustement alone makes my day! … or should I say… it makes my nights using the iPod less painful on the eyes! :)

I tried Pac-Man… cool thing but the iPod control wheel just doesn’t cut it! :/

2. jarret says:

I have a general question: does anyone know if we can ever burn cd’s straight from our ipods?? that would make things SOOOOOOOO much easier.

3. Uh, no. Until someone makes a CD burner with a cable that connects directly to the iPod’s dock connector on the bottom, it will never happen. And the RIAA would do just about anything in their (considerable) power to prevent such a device from being made, so I’m guessing “never” on this one. :-)

4. Ian says:

I’m very reticent to join in (from Hong Kong) with guys who are real techies; but I have spent a day trying to find the search interface information for my iPod 60GB (5th Gen). Thank goodness I found your site confirming my worst fears. I know keeping up to date is a futile pursuit but with a nearly new 60GB iPod I’m truly disappointed with Apple for the first time. What do I do?

5. Michael says:

I tried downloading a game and a movie, when I realized I didn’t have software version 1.2… When I hook my ipod up and click on it there’s an update button yet it says that my ipod is up-to-date. I’m pretty confused and I havn’t been able to find a way to get a hold of 1.2… any help would be much appreciated.

6. John says:

I have different problem.

After updating my i-pod (5G 30GB) i can’t listen my audiobooks – some of them made by me (from old cassetes, some downloaded, by always in mp3 format and previously working perfectly).

If i try to play any track from audiobooks you can hear sound like little engine turning off and my i-pod is just restarting itself.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Thanks in advance.

7. I’ve never heard of that problem. I’d see what you can find in the Apple support documentation, or barring that, call Apple or take it in to a Genius Bar.

Good luck! :-)

8. John says:

Just came into my mind…

Can it be, that those audiobooks are in mono not stereo?

Maybe it’s stupid, but i’m trying to take every possibility…

Thanks!

9. Olga says:

I have the same problem with version 1.2. If i try to play any track from a long audiobook(the audiobook that has many tracks) my i-pod is just restarting itself.

10. John says:

DONE IT !!!

The problem was mono sound.

I’ve converted audiobook into stereo and now it’s working perfectly.

Hope it will help others! 😀

11. Olga says:

To Josh Bancroft:

Thanks a lot. I resetted All settings in my iPod and it did not help. But because you were mentioned EQ I went to EQ menu and switched it OFF. And this worked fine! Thanks a lot!!!

12. John says:

Olga – if you want to use EQ and play your audiobooks just convert mono to stereo with for example Easy CD-DA Extractor [website: http://www.poikosoft.com – you should have enough time with trial version to convert all your audiobooks.

13. Olga says:

I have discovered the new problem. Upgraded iPod is not playing the music that was previously ripped from CD. Also it is failed to play some another mp3 – random mp3. Help.

14. Daryl says:

when i try to update my 30gb ipod with version 1.2, the ipod immediately disconnects from itunes and goes into charging mode, itunes eventually comes up with a message saying the ipod can’t be updated and that an unknown error occurred, 1417. Anyone think of anything??

15. neil says:

You need to watch the Ipod – you will see the screen change partway through the update – IMMEDIATELY unplug it and plug it back in again. After a short wait, it wil continue ans complete the upgrade (BUT I would watch out for it – I did this, and half my tunes cause the Ipod to skip then crash…)

16. saxon says:

Hi folks-

I’d like to play games on my ipod, but when I try to update to software version 1.2, itunes tells me that it can’t connect to the server b/c I’m not connnected to the internet (when I am…); it accesses the music store etc. just fine. Anyone else had this problem or have a fix?

17. DazFoz says:

Hi Guys,

Hoping that you can give me some help on this one, When I sync my Ipod, i’m getting the “Ipod cannot be updated bla bla bla and the error number is (-4)” Since the new Itunes update, I can sync pretty easily (Lots of problems with previous versions!) and everything seems to sync OK, but the message is a bit worrying.

Does anybody know what it is or how to stop it?

THANKS

18. knackers says:

5G 60gig – just updated new itunes and ipod software – now all it does is crash / freeze / pixilate the screen???? plugged into the computer it seems to be accesable but once you unplug it it simply crashes.

Anyone know what to do? I have completely reintalled (5R’s) but still no luck!!

19. Michael Froman says:

iTunes 7 is horrible,I have owned a 30GB iPod that has never worked and will crash before loading 200 songs giving me an error message and all of the SciFi shows I wanted to buy through iTunes won’t even load!!

iTunes 7 won’t let me use my old software with my old iPod(which actually worked) and this brand new iPod has not worked in the 4 months since purchased!!

Maybe it’s time for a Samsung instead?

20. richt says:

hi folks !

my 5g video ipod worked flawlessly with the 6 version & 1.1.2version on ipod. I started using itunes and my nightmare begins!!!.
    all began when i updated to version 7.1.1 & 1.2.1 on my ipod.
    buying music videos was awsome, but ipod worked very unstable, crashing, loosing music video files! and the ipod is always turned on(i cant turn it off).
    there is no way to downgrade, but i found a way!!.
    put your ipod to tu update the software, then disconnect the usd cable, ipod will crash seriously, asking for reboot.
    Ersae new itunes completly from computer& quicktime and install the itunes software cd that came with your ipod. voila
    p.s. turn off your antivirus software when handling very large audio files, this will prevent weird messages & crashing.
    LETS SIT & WAIT TILL THE 7 VERSION STABILIZES (I HOPE)
    THANKS

21. Victor says:

HEY PEOPLE

I NEED HELP MY IPOD (5TH GENERATION VIDEO 30GB) WON’T SYNC EVER SINCE I UPGRADED MY ITUNES TO 7.3.1 IT SYNC ALL THE SONGS AND EVERYTHING BUT AT THE END WHEN IT SAYS SYNC COMPLETE IT SHOWS AN ERROR MESSEGE THAT SAYS FILE CANNOT BE FOUND OR DISC CANNOT BE FOUND.
    I TRIED RESTORING IT MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT IT DOESN’T WORK
    NEED HELP!!!

22. Pingback: Green Lee Online Info »

23. Pingback: the ipod cannot sync the required disc cannot - Web - WebCrawler

24. MD Froman says:

I have owned a video ipod 30GB for a year now and have tried everything to get this thing to work and to get itunes to work short of buying a totally useless Mac computer and I feel like I have been roayally screwed.This is my first ipod,I was waiting for the technology to mature and I thought this was it but functionally all I have is a regular ipod.It won’t play videos,it can’t synch with itunes without locking up or deleting my whole library so why did I pay $300 for this thing when it’s basically just a very expensive audio player with very low battery life?

This thing represents a significant investment for me otherwise I’d toss it in the garbage
    and go buy a Zune or a Samsung tonight!

Oh,Jade..don’t be so naive I have a new $3000 computer and ever update installed and this thing still won’t do anything right,get Vpod and use it as an audio player and stop dreaming of portable data and video on anything made by Apple Computers..

25. Marissa says:

I’m having an issue.
    My sister recently got the new iPod Nano for her birthday, which has the new software including Coverflow, new games, new interior look etc.
    I was wanting all of that on my old 30G Video.
    Is it possible to get that software on a 2005 iPod Video or not?

Thanks.

26. Praveen Mane says:

i want to know whether it is possible to add video files to ipod v 1.2 because i dont have option in my ipode for video

is it possible upgrading soft of ipode will allow me to do that….

27. chris says:

files in my ipod are not playing, a friend told me that it need new software 1.3. how do i get or download it?