Hi, my name is Josh, and I’m a domain name-aholic. I have way too many domain names registered (32 to be exact), some of which I’m actively using, but many are just placeholders for ideas that I’ve had, or good names that I’ve come up with that I thought might be useful in the future.
I use 1and1 as my registrar (affiliate link), and despite my other complaints about them, they’re great for domain names. $5.99 a year is all it costs to register a .com/.org/.net domain name. Problem is, with 32 names, it adds up! I’m paying a lot of money for domains that I’m not using. Coupled with the fact that I can’t find a way to tell 1and1 “do not renew this name – let it expire”, it’s time for me to be free of some of these.
That’s where you come in. If you’re interested in one of the domains below, and have a good idea for something to do with it (basically, NO SPAMMERS!), post a comment telling me which one you want, and what you’d like to do with it, and it’s yours. If multiple people are interested in the same name, then I’ll decide which idea I like best. Oh, and I can be persuaded with cool gadgets or cash, if you’re so inclined. 😉
The Rules: Post a comment – don’t email, call, or otherwise contact me for the names. You have to have your own domain registrar, and initiate the transfer of the domain. You have to provide your own web hosting for the domain. I’m not providing anything other than ownership of the domain name, though I’ll offer help/advice on web hosting if you need it (I recommend mediatemple – use tinyscreenfuls.com as the “referring domain” when you sign up, and I get a credit equal to your first month’s hosting fees). Or you can use 1and1 (affiliate link), who offer very generous, affordable hosting for low traffic sites.
- creativespecies.org – We humans are a creative species, no? Might be good for a blog, or project hosting.
- dramatichamster.com – My attempt to cash in on the Dramatic Hamster meme.
- podseeing.com – Was thinking about “sound seeing tours”, back in the beginning days of podcasting in 2004
- eatlikeabirdpooplikeanelephant.com – What Guy Kawasaki says a good evangelist does – “consumes” a ton of stuff (eat like a hummingbird) and spreads it around liberally (poops like an elephant). See this blog post and this speech for more background, though Guy seems to have redacted the poop part from the speech. Boo!
- pooplikeanelephant.com – See above.
- familyhistorypodcast.com – Had the idea of sitting around and recording stories from family members, then sharing them in podcast format. Could be your own family history, or build a platform/place for others to do their own family history podcasts.
- bishopstorehouse.com and bishopsstorehouse.com
Like I said, if you want one of these domains, you can have it, provided you have something of an idea for what you want to do with it, and that idea doesn’t involve spam. We can work out transfer details after you’re “selected” – the domains aren’t unlocked for transfer, so don’t initiate one or it will fail.
Looking forward to seeing what ideas you have, and to being rid of the yearly renewal payments for these domains!